Conserve water in your business
Water efficiently in your business you will save money today and insulate your business from increased costs as the price of water rises.
Workplaces use water to support staff, and for various industrial and agricultural practices. Evolving a habit of conserving and reusing water in your workplace will save money and reduce our demand on this precious resource.
How to do it now!
Water efficiency can be achieved through a constant focus on addressing water leakage and overuse. The following tips should help:
- Install flow restrictors. Reduce the amount of water coming out of your tap. It is that simple. Available from any hardware store.Two types of flow restrictors are available.
- If you faucet has an aerator housing or a screw thread, you can purchase your own flow restrictor from a hardware store. These flow restrictors are most commonly combined with the aerator and you can easily screw these into the faucet yourself.
- If your faucet does not have an aerator housing or a screw thread you can get a qualified plumber to install flow restrictor within the pipe. These are also a good solution if you are concerned with vandalism.
- Dual flush toilets. Installing a dual flush toilet will allow you to use the appropriate amount of water to clear the toilet bowl. Automated sensors can be installed on taps and toilets in high use areas.
- Install a smart water sensor on taps and toilets. Automated movement sensors on taps and toilets can ensure they are only running when in use.
- Invest in a high star water rated appliances. When buying a water-using product find out first how Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards (WELS) ratings can save you money and help the environment. It's simple: the more stars on the WELS label - the less water that product will use, and the more money you will save.
- Fix dripping taps, toilets, and appliances quickly. They can waste up to 30 litres of water a day.
- If your workplace has showers, Install a water-efficient showerhead.A shower head with a WELS rating higher than 3 stars can save 3 litres a minute, and help you reduce your water and energy bills. If you also encourage employees or customers to reduce their shower time to four minutes, you’ll save over 12,000 litres of water per year.
- Recycle and reuse water in your business processes. If your business uses water in its core processes, then explore ways you can recycle “used” water back into the process rather than losing it as waste. This can also help prevent the release of chemicals into our waterways and the food chain.
Why is this action important?
Fresh water is the lifeblood of nature. In Australia we oscillate between “just enough” water and “not enough”, and the price of water will increasingly fluctuate with this cycle as expensive de-salination plants are used to generate fresh water during droughts. Therefore, we need to ensure we use water in the most efficient way possible, enabling us to reduce the financial and environmental cost of using this scarce resource.