Use plants to remove toxins
Is your living space giving you 'sick building syndrome'? Treat it with a collection of plants that absorb toxic chemicals. They're good for your soul - and good for your health.
In the drive to make our homes energy-efficient we have become better at sealing the indoors from the outdoors to keep temperatures even and lighten the load on the energy systems used to heat and cool our houses. However, this can lead to poor indoor air quality and our health can suffer from the build-up of toxins inside our homes.
The CSIRO estimates that the cost of poor indoor air quality in Australia may be as high as $12 billion per year (Brown, 1998). In recent years, comparative risk studies performed by the US EPA and its Science Advisory Board have consistently ranked indoor air pollution among the top five environmental risks to public health (US EPA, 1993).
The indoor pollutants that affect our health are formaldehyde, volatile organic compounds (benzene and trichloroethylene or TCE), airborne biological pollutants, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides, pesticides and disinfectants (phenols) and radon. These pollutants contribute to 'sick building syndrome', which causes symptoms ranging from allergies, headaches and fatigue through to nervous-system disorders, cancer and death.
Fortunately, the boffins at NASA have found that plants and the microbes at their roots can, through their normal photosynthetic process, absorb these pollutants and provide the fresh air and humidity that makes us healthier. Their research identified a collection of easy-to-grow indoor plants that, if we cease to bring new toxins into the home (see "Use Non-toxic Cleaners" action), can remedy 'sick building syndrome' and make your home a palace of respiratory health.
How to do it now!
Deck out your house and office with a collection of the following plants and breathe easy.
Top ten plants for removing formaldehyde, benzene and carbon monoxide from the air:
- Areca Palm (Chrysalidocarpus lutescens) – semi-sun
- Lady Palm (Rhapis excelsa) – semi-sun
- Bamboo Palm (Chamaedorea seifrizii) – semi-sun
- Rubber Plant (Ficus robusta) – semi-sun to semi-shade
- Dracaena “Janet Craig” (Dracaena deremensis “Janet Craig”) – semi-shade
- Philodendron (Philodendron sp.) - semi-shade
- Dwarf Date Palm (Phoenix roebelenii) – semi-sun
- Ficus Alii (Ficus macleilandii “Alii”) – full sun & semi-sun
- Boston Fern (Nephrolepis exaltata “Bostoniensis) – semi-sun
- Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum "Mauna Loa") - semi-shade
For more information on indoor air quality try the following websites and resources:
- An Office Building Occupant's Guide to Indoor Air Quality (US EPA)
- An introduction to Indoor Air Quality (US EPA)
- A paper on the research 'How and Why Potted Plants Really Do Clean Indoor Air' (PDF) has more details.
- A great book titled 'How To Grow Fresh Air' by Dr B. C. Wolverton. Search the Amazon website if you want hunt it down.
Why is this action important?
This action will improve your health and the health of your family, colleagues and housemates. Putting these plants in your home or office will minimise the build up of the following toxic chemicals that contribute to 'sick building syndrome'.
|Formaldehyde||Pressed wood products (hardwood, plywood wall panelling, particleboard, fibreboard) and furniture made with these pressed wood products; urea-formaldehyde foam insulation (UFFI); combustion sources and environmental tobacco smoke; durable press drapes and other textiles; glues||Eye, nose, and throat irritation, wheezing and coughing, fatigue, skin rash, asthma, severe allergic reactions. May cause cancer.|
|Benzene||Paints, paint strippers and other solvents; wood preservatives; aerosol sprays; cleansers and disinfectants; moth repellents; air fresheners||Repeated skin contact with benzene will cause drying, inflammation, blistering and dermatitis. Acute inhalation of high levels of benzene has been reported to cause dizziness, weakness, euphoria, headache, nausea, blurred vision, respiratory diseases, tremors, irregular heartbeat, liver and kidney damage, paralysis and unconsciousness.|
|Trichloroethylene (TCE)||Metal degreasers; dry cleaners; printing inks; paints; lacquers; varnishes; adhesives||Eye, nose and throat irritation; headaches, loss of coordination, nausea; damage to liver, kidney, and central nervous system. Believed to cause liver cancer in humans.|
|Airborne biological pollutants||Mould; dust mites; pet dander (skin flakes); droppings and body parts from cockroaches, rodents and other pests or insects; viruses; bacteria||Some biological contaminants trigger allergic reactions, including hypersensitivity pneumonitis, allergic rhinitis and some types of asthma. Infectious illnesses such as influenza, measles and chicken pox are transmitted through the air. Moulds and mildews release disease-causing toxins. Symptoms of health problems caused by biological pollutants include sneezing, watery eyes, coughing, shortness of breath, dizziness, lethargy, fever and digestive problems.|
|Carbon monoxide, Nitrogen dioxide||Unvented kerosene and gas space heaters; leaking chimneys and furnaces; back-drafting from furnaces, gas water heaters, wood stoves, and fireplaces; gas stoves; generators and other gasoline powered equipment; automobile exhaust from attached garages; tobacco smoke.||At low concentrations, carbon monoxide causes fatigue in healthy people and chest pain in people with heart disease. At higher concentrations, it causes impaired vision and coordination; headaches; dizziness; confusion and nausea. Nitrogen dioxide causes eye, nose, and throat irritation. It may cause impaired lung function and increased respiratory infections in young children.|
|Pesticides||Products used to kill household pests (insecticides, termiticides, and disinfectants); products used on lawns and gardens that drift or are tracked inside the house||Irritation to eye, nose, and throat; damage to central nervous system and kidneys; increased risk of cancer.|
|Disinfectants (phenols, which include biphenyl, phenolics and the preservative pentachloraphenol)||Disinfectants; antiseptics; perfumes; mouthwashes; glues; air fresheners||Skin, eyes and mucous membrane irritation. At lethal doses it causes irregular breathing, muscle weakness and tremors, loss of coordination, convulsions, coma and respiratory arrest.|